Monday, September 13, 2010

Announcing: Olivia Lynn Strittmater

    Olivia Lynn Strittmater was born on August 23, 2010 at 10:15 a.m. She was 6 lbs 12 oz and 19.5 inches long and we simply could not love her more. Being a mother is absolutely amazing and I truly enjoy every moment of it. I did not know my heart could hold so much love for one person.
     I started having contractions on Saturday evening but was trying not to get too excited yet. Sunday morning as we sat down to have breakfast with  my family, I started to notice they were coming in a pattern!!! Could it be... was I finally in labor? As the day progressed, Danny and I still tried not to get our hopes to high but the contractions were beginning to come closer and closer together!  By midday, we were finally convinced that I was in active labor! We couldn't have been more excited that we were soon going to meet our baby girl! 
   At around 8 o'clock, Danny and I decided it would be a good idea to call the Dr on call and inform her that I was in labor. At this point my contractions were about 5 minutes apart and were beginning to become somewhat uncomfortable. Danny spoke with the Dr. and she instructed us to wait a bit until my contractions became really uncomfortable. To ease our mind and speed up the process, Danny and I took several LONG walks around Wrigley Field and our neighborhood. Around 12:30 a.m. my contractions became a lot stronger and I decided it was time to go to the hospital!!! My mom and Danny packed up the house and called a taxi... we were now on the way to Northwester Prentice Women's hospital to have our baby girl!!!! :) 
   When we arrived at the hospital we checked into triage and waited to hear if we were going to be able to stay or not. The nurse checked me and I was 3 cm dilated! There only concern at this point was that my blood pressure was a bit on the high side.  Minutes later the nurse came in and said... the dr. said you can stay! Minutes later we were taken upstairs to labor and delivery where we were met by my mom. I have to admit I was still not convinced that baby O was on her way! It was about 2 a.m when we got settled into labor and delivery and the nurse informed me I could have my epidural when every I wanted! Although my contractions were painful, I wanted to wait to get the epidural so my body could do some of the work and wouldn't be slowed down by the epidural.
 After meeting my nurses and Dr.'s and being hooked up to all the monitors, a resident then broke my water. Quickly, my contractions became really intense and I was ready for that epidural. At around 5:30 a.m. I received my epidural!!! Wow, epidurals are truly amazing!!! At around 8:45 a.m the dr. informed us that I was still  4 cm and that I would probably dilate a cm every hr and a half. This was going to be a long day... or was it?
An  hour later around 10 a.m, I began to feel a lot of pressure so the dr checked me and informed us I was 10 cm and the baby was right there! Quickly my mom and I woke Danny up and told him I was about to start pushing. The dr.'s informed me that I would probably push for an hour to three hrs... yiiikes. Surprisingly, after only 11 minutes of pushing, Olivia Lynn was born!!! What an easy first labor!!! I actually loved pushing and was so lucky to have Danny and my mom by my side.
  I will never forget the moment when I first saw Olivia and she was placed on my chest. It was truly the best feeling I have ever felt in my whole life. I already loved her more than words could say and I know Danny felt the same way! It was so special to see daddy hold his little girl for the first time! He really just took to her right away and is such a great father! Another special moment for me was when Danny passed her over to my mom! I am so close with my mom and I hope to have the same relationship with Olivia. 
   Each day is a new and exciting adventure for our little family. It really has brought Danny and I closer together and we just love our little girl so much! Being a mother is truly amazing and watching Danny be a father is just as special. We have so much to look forward too and we just love being parents to our little Olivia! 

  Danny coaching me through a contraction! He truly was great throughout the whole pregnancy and labor!


Love at first sight!!! My first time holding my precious baby girl! 


She truly is just beautiful! We think she's perfect! 

                                           

Our wonderful Dr!!!


Daddy holding his baby for the first time!


Our first family photo! 


Nana holding her granddaughter for the first time! 


She is just the prettiest baby!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment